Texas Medical Association Diversity in Medicine Scholarship (Formerly TMA Minority Scholarship)
2023 Scholarship applications accepted July 1, 2023 - May 31, 2024.
This $10,000 scholarship is for minorities historically
underrepresented in Texas medical schools and the state’s physician workforce. One scholarship available at each Texas medical school.
- Eligible applicants must be African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, or Native American
(includes American Indian/Alaska Native or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander).
- Available to US citizens.
- Students already attending medical school are not eligible.
(Scholarship is for those who have been accepted for admission in the fall of the award year.)
- Must complete an application via the link below
- Provide a letter or email confirming acceptance offer and intent to attend.
- Write an essay, not to exceed 750 words, explaining how as a physician you would “improve the health of all Texans”.
- Fundraising efforts handled by TMA Foundation.
- Funds will be disbursed directly to the school in increments of $2,500 annually during the first four consecutive years of a student's matriculation. Students who withdraw or take leaves of absence will automatically forfeit the remainder of their disbursement.
- This scholarship is per school and does not transfer with a student should they decide to matriculate elsewhere.
Apply for TMA's Diversity in Medicine Scholarship HERE (when available).
[TMA’s 2023 Diversity in Medicine Scholarship Program is funded by TMA
Foundation with generous support from its Bayardo Trust and Patrick Y. Leung,
MD, Endowment, and annual gifts from H-E-B, Baldemar Covarrubias, MD; the
Dallas County Medical Society; and other TMA-affiliated county medical societies;
and gifts from physicians and their families. To make a tax-deductible donation to the TMA Diversity in
Medicine Scholarship Program, you may do so on the TMA Foundation Web
site, www.tmaf.org, or contact Lisa Stark Walsh of the TMA
Foundation at (800) 880-1300, ext. 1666, or (512) 370-1666, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.]
Return to top